The Alumni Board was established in 2014 to represent the global alumni community within the University of Sheffield. We are an advisory body, working alongside the Development, Alumni Relations & Events office (DARE). The Chair and Deputy Chair of the Alumni Board are also members of the University Council and were both appointed as Pro-Chancellors in 2017.
Over the past year the Alumni Board has met three times, twice in Sheffield and once in London. Among the major agenda items that we have discussed and debated are:
- The biennial Convocation Lecture, delivered by a distinguished alumnus/alumna; Dr Helen Sharman OBE (BSc Chemistry 1984, Hon DSc 2017) was our inaugural lecturer in June 2018
- The Alumni Forum – an opportunity for alumni to raise questions with the Alumni Board and members of DARE – to take place before the Convocation Lecture
- The establishment of an interactive Alumni Portal, to provide targeted information and services and allow alumni to make better use of peer networks worldwide
- Recipients of the Professor Robert Boucher Distinguished Alumni Awards
- A consultation on the recruitment process and appointment of a new President and Vice-Chancellor for the University
- Support for the Sheffield Scanner Appeal, including participation in The Big Walk
- Alumni engagement and support for the Students’ Union
- Support for the #WeAreInternational and International Alumni Memories campaigns, both of which show our long-term commitment as an international university.
A copy of the Alumni Charter and full minutes of our meetings can be found at www.sheffield.ac.uk/alumni/alumniboard.
We are always very happy to hear from fellow alumni and we welcome your ideas and suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Richard Mayson (BA Geography 1983)
Chair, Alumni Board